THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Sun Aug 25, 2024 8:08 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Matty Sorinola
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:12 pm 

From Russ's interview it seems he's lost favour in the first team because he's not dedicated to the MK cause. Understandable from the management's point of view when players such as Harvie and Jules have bought into the team philosophy so well.
But how much of this can we lay at the door of his agent, advising him not to sign a deal for next season, probably holding off to get him to another bigger, more lucrative club?
I feel sorry for him, he's a young lad wanting to progress but caught between a rock and a hard place.
I hope the situation gets resolved soon, but I've got the feeling it's going to drag on until the end of the season.

Post subject: Re: Matty Sorinola
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:35 am 

If he doesn’t want to sign and hasn’t all ready I’d just withdraw the contract offer and let him go

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:41 am 

It’s a tricky one...

If Russ is still trying to convince him his future is with us then relegating him to third choice left* wing back behind Harvie and Jules probably isn’t the best way to go about it.

*- really don’t think I’ve ever seen him play at RWB (other than the odd time off the bench) despite being right footed.

One thing I will say though is that our fan base is always so sensitive to these issues; “if he doesn’t want to be here, then f**k off” always seems to be the first response. The truth as to their commitment to the club is always a bit less black & white.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:14 am 

Camdenite wrote:
It’s a tricky one...

If Russ is still trying to convince him his future is with us then relegating him to third choice left* wing back behind Harvie and Jules probably isn’t the best way to go about it.

*- really don’t think I’ve ever seen him play at RWB (other than the odd time off the bench) despite being right footed.

One thing I will say though is that our fan base is always so sensitive to these issues; “if he doesn’t want to be here, then f**k off” always seems to be the first response. The truth as to their commitment to the club is always a bit less black & white.

But if he was a first teamer who we would miss then I might think differently, but he is a 20 year old who has played for us for half a season and have we missed not having him? Not really, the results speak for themselves. Good luck to him, but if he doesnt want to be here then I dont want him to play for us. Sounds like a little bit of arrogance is creaping in to be honest.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:32 am 

Russybcool wrote:
Sounds like a little bit of arrogance is creaping in to be honest.

Unlike a football fan to jump to a conclusion :)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:35 am 

Russybcool wrote:
But if he was a first teamer who we would miss then I might think differently, but he is a 20 year old who has played for us for half a season and have we missed not having him? Not really, the results speak for themselves. Good luck to him, but if he doesnt want to be here then I dont want him to play for us. Sounds like a little bit of arrogance is creaping in to be honest.

I don't think any player wants to be here, every single player has ambition and a want to play at a higher level. That is the reality of football. Sorinola may have an opportunity for better coaching, a better financial package and a new experience - whether that will necessarily lead to be a better career will always be disputed. If you asked any player in the team if they could go to Leeds or Brighton (two teams who were mentioned in January) I am fairly certain all of them would say yes, but the opportunity will never come up for almost all of them.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:54 am 

Russybcool wrote:
Camdenite wrote:
It’s a tricky one...

Wouldn't be surprised if an agent is perhaps influencing him. Matty is a young man in the grand scheme of things and bound to have plenty of noise around him, which is pretty standard for young players nowadays.

I really hope we keep him personally, he's a very talented young player and every chance we will sell on in a season or two when he's ready. I expect him and Harvie to be battling for the LWB spot next season. Who knows, he could even be out starting RWB. It works two ways, I'd imagine Russ wants his commitment to the cause before committing to him. We've offered him a deal, let's hope he signs.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:57 am 

cornerdon26 wrote:
Russybcool wrote:

I don't think any player wants to be here, every single player has ambition and a want to play at a higher level. That is the reality of football. Sorinola may have an opportunity for better coaching, a better financial package and a new experience - whether that will necessarily lead to be a better career will always be disputed. If you asked any player in the team if they could go to Leeds or Brighton (two teams who were mentioned in January) I am fairly certain all of them would say yes, but the opportunity will never come up for almost all of them.

Even Dean Lewington?

Anyway regardless of that fact if he sent L1 on fire then I would concede that point. But to leave on the off chance you might scrape in to a PL team and get paid a stupid amount of money regardless then shows how little you care for a club that gave you the break. If he doesnt want to be with us then good luck to him. I am not going to miss him. Whilst he has potential, sitting in a PL U23's might not progress his career as much as staying down the lower leagues and earning that spot. He is only 20 he has another 5 or so years before he would even be classed as "in his prime".

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:05 am 

If Sorinola and his agent think / know they can get a better deal elswhere, then so be it. Keep the contract offer on the table (so we get compensation), but definitely better to give others (Harvie) the playing time rather than waste it on a youngster who will be continuing their development elsewhere.

If the team suffered as a result, it would be cutting off our nose to spite our face. But I don't think that is the case either. (Although Jules is clearly not a LWB).

Adios and best of luck Matty. Just be wary of where your agent's best interests lie.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:21 am 

Russybcool wrote:
cornerdon26 wrote:
Russybcool wrote:

Even Dean Lewington?

Anyway regardless of that fact if he sent L1 on fire then I would concede that point. But to leave on the off chance you might scrape in to a PL team and get paid a stupid amount of money regardless then shows how little you care for a club that gave you the break. If he doesnt want to be with us then good luck to him. I am not going to miss him. Whilst he has potential, sitting in a PL U23's might not progress his career as much as staying down the lower leagues and earning that spot. He is only 20 he has another 5 or so years before he would even be classed as "in his prime".

Well it all depends on what you mean in your original point of Sorinola not wanting to be here. The Sorinola contract situation seems be a result of media attention regarding Premier League teams being interested. His interest in such a move in noway says he doesn't want to be here or that he doesn't care about the club, just that there are currently more appealing and exciting potential options out there. I'm happy in my job, but if something better came along I would move on.

If Lewington was offered the chance to play in the best league in the world, train with full internationals, work under impressive coaches and have even more financial stability then he would 100% want it. Every player would. But that doesn't mean he wasn't happy with us, arrogant or wouldn't put 100% effort in.

Also there is nothing to say a move to a Premier League development squad wouldn't be better for his career, he may even get a loan spell to another club. He may break into an international youth set up quicker as more coaches are watching. He could sign a new contract with us, struggle, get released and end up in non-league within a year or two. There are absolutely no guarantees either way.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next