THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 6:48 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2024 1:11 pm 

As you know I’m a bit of a stat monkey, and someone said on social media MW needs 10-15 games to get this team working which prompted me to look at his record while being with us.
His Win Ratio is very high at almost 49%, and I was a bit surprised to see he’s been with us for 43 games, but what did surprise me was in that time we have drawn just 5.
Anybody got any theories as to why ?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2024 1:22 pm 

Whoscored.com has said that one of our strengths is protecting a lead, while when we are losing, it can often end up as a rout. Also, players' mistakes can make a difference between a draw and a loss. Also, Max Dean often made a win.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2024 1:48 pm 

ReturnofMoo wrote:
Whoscored.com has said that one of our strengths is protecting a lead, while when we are losing, it can often end up as a rout. Also, players' mistakes can make a difference between a draw and a loss. Also, Max Dean often made a win.

Exactly, I haven't looked at any stats to back it up, but it's obvious that when we go behind the player's heads drop. And I'm sure Dean has won plenty of games on his own, at least in terms of goals.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2024 2:04 pm 

ReturnofMoo wrote:

Is that stats from just this season? Because if so, we have only ever been in the lead once, which was against Carlisle. We have not lead in any other competitive games this season, therefore our ability to defend a lead is 100%.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2024 2:30 pm 

I think it is that Williamson rarely settles for a point and always presses for a win when we are level with 10 to go. Sometimes that works but quite often we have days like Colchester where we could have seen the game out but were too high up the pitch looking for a winner.

I don’t have any stats to back that up, but that is how it feels to me.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2024 2:33 pm 

WellDon wrote:
As you know I’m a bit of a stat monkey, and someone said on social media MW needs 10-15 games to get this team working which prompted me to look at his record while being with us.
His Win Ratio is very high at almost 49%, and I was a bit surprised to see he’s been with us for 43 games, but what did surprise me was in that time we have drawn just 5.
Anybody got any theories as to why ?

I did spot this a few weeks ago too.

My theory behind it is MW's lack of flexibility / intelligence in his approach. We just plough the same path regardless of whether it is working (v Carlisle) or not (v Salford). So that's why we win or lose, rarely draw.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2024 2:40 pm 

East Wing Don wrote:
ReturnofMoo wrote:

Is that stats from just this season? Because if so, we have only ever been in the lead once, which was against Carlisle. We have not lead in any other competitive games this season, therefore our ability to defend a lead is 100%.

The last two seasons. However, it's a projection based on the current players. Looking at last seasons results we did score 3 or more a few times, which shows if we can get 1 we can get more.

https://insights.betfred.com/football/t ... 2023-2024/

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2024 10:38 pm 

Locutus wrote:
ReturnofMoo wrote:

Exactly, I haven't looked at any stats to back it up, but it's obvious that when we go behind the player's heads drop. And I'm sure Dean has won plenty of games on his own, at least in terms of goals.

I just had a nosy at Max Deans goals last season. I haven't looked at the data to see if he was off the pitch at the final whistle or made assists though
3 - in a draw but never the equaliser
4 - when we lost the game
12 - when we won the game - 6 of which were in the first half.

Of his 19 goals, 9 were the opening goal of the game. He never scored the 'match winner' as such (i.e to make it 2-1 or 1-0). However he has put the game to bed after already leading (i.e winning 2-1 and he scores the 3rd to make it 3-1). 11 of his 19 goals were across 8 games in which we won by 2 or more goals.

His goals often actually came early to give us the lead, he wasn't the one to turn a draw into a win by scoring himself. That being said he was often a nuisance and may have contributed significantly to the goals with his movement or an assist.

Ellis Harrison on the other hand scored 2 late winners and 2 goals to put the game to bed late on

I may have got this wrong - not had my morning coffee yet. So please call me out if I've missed something