THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 5:23 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Southgate
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2024 5:17 pm 

Dad_Of_A_Don wrote:
Really glad he resigned, it was the right thing to do. With the players at his disposal and the huge chunks of luck, he should have done much better. Ultimately, his lack of imagination held us back.

We will soon see if you're right. I'm not entirely convinced that things will suddenly be much better with a new man in charge.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2024 5:55 pm 

I think it’s the right time for him to step aside, he’s done well, nobody can deny that, but it’s started to turn sour, the recent performances haven’t been great, we look a confused team with players not playing in position or style they normally do at club level. Gareth has done his best, but after eight years and 102 games, he realised it was time to go, he’s right on that, I thank him for what he achieved and wish him all the best for the future.

A pair of fresh eyes looking at this squad might be a good thing, there is so much talent to choose from and the next manager will hopefully be able utilise that

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2024 8:57 am 

There are things he has done well, no doubt about it. The apparent unity within the squad is the best it's been since Venables was in charge, and at times that has shown on the pitch.

However, tactically he has always been lacking. With the attacking talent we have we should have been winning games more comfortably, where his preference has always been to set up relatively defensively and try to protect what you have. I understand to a point being a little more cautious against teams like Spain, but I also felt the Spanish had just as much to fear about our team if we set up more attacking to have a go at them - the way they went behind to Georgia, and in fact almost went 2-0 down in that game, showed they were vulnerable if you attacked them. Some missed opportunities for sure.

I would also say that Southgate is often slow to react. The final in 2021 against Italy was an example of this, sit back and protect the lead, and then it became obvious a change was needed to overcome changes Italy had made to try to get back in the game, but nothing really changed until after they had scored. Perhaps the fact we went behind several times this tournament helped us get to the final, as it forced him to make some attacking changes for which we usually looked a better side (although he really got away with it in one game thanks to Bellingham's late equaliser after not making the change that was clearly needed until the final minute!).

Also, lets not forget that at the times we have got to semi-finals and finals the opposition have not had great teams like they did in the past. The Spanish haven't been the force they were a decade or more ago until now, the Germans have been fairly poor since winning the world cup, the French aren't particularly great other than two or three stars.

It's time for him to move on. I don't like saying it as for all of his faults, he is a thoroughly decent guy who has given his all, but it's right for him to move on.

As for a replacement, I'd prefer an English man in charge, but being realistic I'm not sure the best English options are quite at the right level. If it is to be a foreign coach somebody like Klopp would do a great job - tactically switched on, understands the English game, public, and the media. Shame he's German

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2024 9:14 am 

Good luck and thank you for your service. A gentleman and a man who came across really well. He'll be well remembered over time and he deserves to be, but we shouldn't ever pretend this isn't the right time to move on.

- Louis C. K.