THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 5:37 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 478 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 44, 45, 46, 47, 48
 Post subject: Re: Euro 2024
PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2024 9:06 am 

Alby39 wrote:
Grealish didn't deserve to go, neither did Rashford. But hindsight is wonderful and I bet you a pound for a penny that if he did take them, even on the back of their poor individual seasons, he'd gave played them a hell of a lot more than Gordon and Eze*.
*Edit - was meant to say Bowen, even confused myself reading this back
Can pick the bones out of this one, and over time I will, but the gut feeling this morning much like late last night is - beaten by the better team. And sometimes, that really all there is to say

I dont think Rashford deserved to go particularly but think Grealish probably did. Even with Rashford, him and Kane play pretty well together due to Rashfords willingness to run beyond him from the left hand side

Its all conjecture now but the same argument can be made for Eze, Bowen, Dunk or Gallagher, none of whom have done a great deal to justify their selection. Once Southgate took them, why not at lest give them that third group game to try and justify their selection, along with Konsa, Gomez, Wharton and Gordon. A few got a few minutes here and there and did ok when they did get their miniscule chance.

I probably feel the most for Alexander. He was thrown under the bus a bit with the 'experiment' and then largely ignored. Its hard to believe not a single Liverpool player made the starting 11 of the semi-final or the final.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2024 9:26 am 

Grealish deserved to go least out of everyone who didn't go. And I adore the fella. Not much to prove measure, but I got his name on my last England top, spending £100+ on ot because I adore his style and vibe. But he really didn't deserve it ahead of anyone else who went. But that's just my view.

The third game, I agree, was a missed opportunity. He couldn't get it right. And if you're still experimenting within the tournament with a good 15 months of prep, it raises serious questions

- Louis C. K.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2024 9:26 am 

The issue England have had now for over 50 years is players are largely selected on reputation, that is highlighted by the fact a woefully unfit Harry Kane got the nod in every game. For one he should have told Southgate he wasn’t right, and for the benefit of the team should not be selected, in my eyes that was just selfish on Kane’s part.
Secondly we are still trying to fit square pegs in round holes, many are wedged into the team playing in a position or a system they are not accustomed to.
Lastly …..I can’t think of a manager we’ve had that is brave enough to make the right call, Cole and Watkins should have started …….surely that has been proved in just the brief glimpses of them we’ve had.
Until a manager is brave enough to do this and pick players on merit into positions players are accustomed to, England will win nothing.
Yes England will fiddle their way through tournaments, get out of the group, but after that they are on borrowed time.

Last edited by WellDon on Mon Jul 15, 2024 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2024 9:46 am 

Unfortunately it shows the woeful youth & adult coaching in this country in that supposedly world class players are unable to pass, control and / or cross the ball. And that Harry Kane was unfit and needed a break.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2024 12:18 pm 

I felt that Spain let us off lightly, they always looked to have something to spare if required. Like the way they opened us up for that second goal.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2024 1:21 pm 

One for Gers

https://x.com/paddypower/status/1812780 ... aNKGOmKjAA

Watch till the ends.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2024 3:43 pm 

dons50 wrote:

Brilliant.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2024 10:06 am 

So it's official. Southgate is stepping down.

I guess we'll all find out now if he was holding us back or not. One thing's for sure, the FA have a massive decision on their hands now - and they don't exactly have a great track record of getting them right.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 478 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 44, 45, 46, 47, 48