THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 12:50 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 565 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 53, 54, 55, 56, 57
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2024 10:15 pm 

Gers wrote:
FilthyD wrote:
Rebel Ridge (Netflix)

Easily my film of the year so far. A proper grown up action/thriller that doesn't spoon-feed the viewer and avoids all the usual genre tropes.

9/10

As I have a stinking cold (in fact it’s probably flu or some variant of covid and I’m lucky to be alive) I was casting around for something to watch last night. First of all I gave Aquaman And The Lost Kingdom a go. Fuck me! How on earth does shit like this get made? Utter rubbish. Then cor’ blimey me old china I thought the Amy Winehouse biopic might get me up the old apples and pears wif’ it’s authentic old Landan nonsense. Reckon I gave that at least 10 minutes. Cor blimey guvnor it wasn’t for me. Finally I remembered you gave Rebel Ridge 9/10, so I settled on that.

I wouldn’t go as far as you, but as an intelligent, grown up, action, revenge thriller, it’s miles ahead of the John Wick franchise that's for sure.

Basic plot. A small town in the US, I’m thinking the South, police department finds itself broke due to being continually sued as their process is somewhat ‘dubious’ to say the least. Chief Don Johnson, who’s more than decent in this, comes up with a cunning plan to alleviate the funding shortfall. Imposing ludacris fines, and impounding any cash they find, legally it has to be said. Unfortunately for these good ol’ boys they come up against ex-marine Terry, played by Britt Aaron Pierre, enroute to bail his cousin out. A tense encounter, mostly because Terry is a black man in the South being stopped by two white cops, results in the bail money being confiscated, which results in his cousin being murdered.

There’s no rampaging here. It's nicely plotted, albeit it sags somewhat in the middle, with the impressive Pierre handling the action scenes with aplomb. This was originally a vehicle for John Boyega. In fact filming started before he quite literally walked away in still unexplained circumstances. In Pierre they found a more than adequate replacement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gF3gZicntIw

Watched it last night. Initially I thought it was going to be a Rambo: First Blood thaang. But it was better then that. Not great but OK. 6/10.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2024 10:38 pm 

In Bruges

Obvs, we've all seen this brilliant film. I watched it again tonight. It gets better with age, although the dialogue would not be allowed today. It's a buddy movie and a gangster movie and it's darkly comic as well as being just dark at times.

Two hitmen, after a botched job, are sent by their nasty gangster boss (Ralph Fiennes) to go hide up in Bruges. One (Brendan Gleeson) loves the place - the culture and the history. The other one (Colin Farrell) hates it and wishes he was back in London. Or Dublin. Anywhere but fucking Bruges.

Over a few days, they have various interactions, some violent, all funny and yet the dark heart of the film becomes clear. But in the final third, the gears shift and the film moves towards a tragic and brutal denouement. I won't go into details as I don't want to spoil it if you haven't seen it.

Overall, the acting is first rate and the dialogue is on a par with early Tarantino. It's a strong and moving story. It's simply a great movie.

And, of course, "Two manky hookers and a racist dwarf" is still one of the greatest lines in world cinema.

9/10

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2024 1:34 am 

keyser soze wrote:
In Bruges

Obvs, we've all seen this brilliant film. I watched it again tonight. It gets better with age, although the dialogue would not be allowed today. It's a buddy movie and a gangster movie and it's darkly comic as well as being just dark at times.

Two hitmen, after a botched job, are sent by their nasty gangster boss (Ralph Fiennes) to go hide up in Bruges. One (Brendan Gleeson) loves the place - the culture and the history. The other one (Colin Farrell) hates it and wishes he was back in London. Or Dublin. Anywhere but fucking Bruges.

Over a few days, they have various interactions, some violent, all funny and yet the dark heart of the film becomes clear. But in the final third, the gears shift and the film moves towards a tragic and brutal denouement. I won't go into details as I don't want to spoil it if you haven't seen it.

Overall, the acting is first rate and the dialogue is on a par with early Tarantino. It's a strong and moving story. It's simply a great movie.

And, of course, "Two manky hookers and a racist dwarf" is still one of the greatest lines in world cinema.

9/10

One of the best films ever.

I actually apparently stopped my friend who was going through a rough time one Christmas from having a real down day by recommending him that film to cheer him up and it did, and it's now one of his favourites.

Though I did make the grave mistake of recommending it as the movie to watch round one of my ex girlfriends' parents house.

Don't think they liked it.

- Louis C. K.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:29 am 

keyser soze wrote:
Gers wrote:
FilthyD wrote:
Rebel Ridge (Netflix)

Easily my film of the year so far. A proper grown up action/thriller that doesn't spoon-feed the viewer and avoids all the usual genre tropes.

9/10

As I have a stinking cold (in fact it’s probably flu or some variant of covid and I’m lucky to be alive) I was casting around for something to watch last night. First of all I gave Aquaman And The Lost Kingdom a go. Fuck me! How on earth does shit like this get made? Utter rubbish. Then cor’ blimey me old china I thought the Amy Winehouse biopic might get me up the old apples and pears wif’ it’s authentic old Landan nonsense. Reckon I gave that at least 10 minutes. Cor blimey guvnor it wasn’t for me. Finally I remembered you gave Rebel Ridge 9/10, so I settled on that.

I wouldn’t go as far as you, but as an intelligent, grown up, action, revenge thriller, it’s miles ahead of the John Wick franchise that's for sure.

Basic plot. A small town in the US, I’m thinking the South, police department finds itself broke due to being continually sued as their process is somewhat ‘dubious’ to say the least. Chief Don Johnson, who’s more than decent in this, comes up with a cunning plan to alleviate the funding shortfall. Imposing ludacris fines, and impounding any cash they find, legally it has to be said. Unfortunately for these good ol’ boys they come up against ex-marine Terry, played by Britt Aaron Pierre, enroute to bail his cousin out. A tense encounter, mostly because Terry is a black man in the South being stopped by two white cops, results in the bail money being confiscated, which results in his cousin being murdered.

There’s no rampaging here. It's nicely plotted, albeit it sags somewhat in the middle, with the impressive Pierre handling the action scenes with aplomb. This was originally a vehicle for John Boyega. In fact filming started before he quite literally walked away in still unexplained circumstances. In Pierre they found a more than adequate replacement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gF3gZicntIw

Watched it last night. Initially I thought it was going to be a Rambo: First Blood thaang. But it was better then that. Not great but OK. 6/10.

I think 6/10 is about right. Personally I'd have given it a 5. There was an interesting article in yesterday's Guardian. No one dies in Rebel Ridge. He doesn't kill anyone. It then gave a body count in similar movies. The first John Wick, 77 dead. By the latest Wick outing, 140 dead. Bullet Train, a comedy, had 152. Taking that into account, it's been Netflix's biggest offering of the year so far, with 31.2m views in a mere six days.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2024 2:00 pm 

keyser soze wrote:
Wicked Little Letters

A comedy-drama based on a true story of a small town suffering from a wave of obscene poison pen letters. It's one of those typical "small" British movies which is a bit of a curate's egg (OK in parts). The women in the audience (including Mrs Soze) all seemed to enjoy it but I found it to be passably engaging, whilst being neither especially comedic nor dramatic.

The film features a strong cast featuring some well known thesps, most who have done both drama and comedy. From the top we have Olivia Colman in the starring role as the God-fearing spinster who is the first to be targeted with the letters. Co-starring is Jessie Buckley as her wild Irish neighbour and erstwhile friend, who is accused of the libelous crimes. There is also Tim Spall as Colman's dad, Jason Watkins as a barrister and Joanna Scanlan as a friend to the two female leads. The police are inept but Woman Police Officer Gladys Moss (Anjana Vasan from Killing Eve) is on hand to ensure justice is done. Others include Lolly Adefope as a post mistress and Tim Key as a vicar.

Colman mostly phones in her performance but occasionally, especially in scenes with her father, you get glimpses of her undoubted huge talent. Buckley is fun and likeable if a little implausible but the acting honours sit squarely with Spall, who is wonderfully hateful as the bullying, coercive and controlling father. He is the antithesis to everything else in this film, like a jagged piece of glass hidden in a strawberry trifle.

The film casting is done in the voguish colour-blind fashion (think the ghastly Bridgerton). I get why this is done and, as a fully paid up leftie woke snowflake, I know I should applaud it. But I found it jarring and anachronistic. The film is set in the mid 1920s and the characters plausibly all comment and poke fun at the novelty of a woman police officer but none of them comment about her having a South Asian heritage and the fact her father before her was also a small town Bobby. The same is true in some of the other roles too. If it was set in London then maybe, maybe, fair enough. But Littlehampton? At a time of gas lights, tin baths and outside loos?

Anyhoo, that's a personal bug bear and nothing in the performances of Vasan, Adefope et al are at issue. I should just try to get over it but historical inaccuracy rankles with me.

Overall, pleasant enough fun with a good ensemble cast and some amusing swearing.

6/10

Just watched this, and agree with all of this. Couldn't really make it's mind up what it wanted to be. The swearing was spectacular though.

When Spall first encounters the female PC, I naturally assumed that his problem with her being her ethnicity, but as you say, the further it progressed the more obvious it was that was yet more colour blind casting. Nothing was said about Buckley shacking up with a black man. Could you imagine the outrage of the time! But perhaps as a 62 year old man it's me that has the problem.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 565 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 53, 54, 55, 56, 57