THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 12:45 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Corners
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2024 8:38 am 

I know he is (hopefully) leaving soon, so this will change, but I mentioned yesterday that the short corners are creating a serious amount of rage within me. This is coming from someone that has defended short corners and sees the purpose of them!

The reason for the anger, is that ever since the Portsmouth pre-season game, every single corner, in every single game has been short. To me this is utter madness. We have absolutely no variation at all. Even the short corner routine is exactly the same every time. Play is short to the man standing with you, then play it to whoever is a LCB.

Am I missing something here? What is the purpose of playing every single corner short without even an ounce of variation? We actually scored from a corner taken directly in pre-season too (before the Portsmouth game). I'm sure MW would say it's because he wants to recycle play rather than risking losing it by trying to score, but we are yet to do anything meaningful in that recycled play for a corner.

I've noticed that the longer MW has had to implement his style, the worse we have become. When he first came in, the players were in a sort of hybrid style between the dross of Alexander and then what MW was trying to implement, which actually seemed to work quite well.

Carlisle should be fully aware that if he goes to them, results will likely pick up but the longer he has to implement his 'system' the worse they will become.

Post subject: Re: Corners
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2024 8:54 am 

Last nights corners were absolutely disgraceful. Frankly the players on the park need to make some decisions here: the short corners all ended up with a centre back on the half way line. As a player surely you need to make an on field decision to change it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2024 8:59 am 

I would add our throw-ins under pressure to this lack of variation. It’s almost always a short throw which is returned to the thrower. So easy for opponents to predict and press the thrower as he receives it back.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2024 9:11 am 

MW is all about dull, routine, predictable football with no variation - whether we are 3-0 up or 3-0 down. No reason why his corner routines should deviate from his general lack of imagination / personality / tactical intelligence.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2024 10:14 am 

East Wing Don wrote:
I know he is (hopefully) leaving soon, so this will change, but I mentioned yesterday that the short corners are creating a serious amount of rage within me. This is coming from someone that has defended short corners and sees the purpose of them!

The reason for the anger, is that ever since the Portsmouth pre-season game, every single corner, in every single game has been short. To me this is utter madness. We have absolutely no variation at all. Even the short corner routine is exactly the same every time. Play is short to the man standing with you, then play it to whoever is a LCB.

Am I missing something here? What is the purpose of playing every single corner short without even an ounce of variation? We actually scored from a corner taken directly in pre-season too (before the Portsmouth game). I'm sure MW would say it's because he wants to recycle play rather than risking losing it by trying to score, but we are yet to do anything meaningful in that recycled play for a corner.

I've noticed that the longer MW has had to implement his style, the worse we have become. When he first came in, the players were in a sort of hybrid style between the dross of Alexander and then what MW was trying to implement, which actually seemed to work quite well.

Carlisle should be fully aware that if he goes to them, results will likely pick up but the longer he has to implement his 'system' the worse they will become.

I have said this since day one man is so one note and stubborn it is unbelievable. I don't know why you are surprised. Tactically inept. Thing is it will probably work for Carlisle. I never really thought about the corners tbh, but it is one in a long list of utter garbage that is the Williamson way